Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Thump of the Celtic Heart

The Thump Of The Celtic Heart: The above is a video from Youtube of a performance by Julie Fowlis on the BBC’s Later with Jools Holland. The song is called: Hug Air A Bhonaid Mhoir. I’m reliably informed (though don’t quote me on this one) that it translates as “Celebrate the great bonnet” in Scottish Gaelic. It’s a beautiful song from an amazing talent and I’ve been pretty much playing this song and every other piece of Scottish music I can get my hands on since I came back from Edinburgh and those closest to me may have noted the development of a theme. To be honest with you, parting from Edinburgh was like parting from a lover. Hours drag their heels and nothing quite distracts you from the memory of the good times you shared and the need to return.

CHECK OUT FOOTSTOMPIN.COM FOR GREAT SCOTTISH MUSIC

I’m also going to showcase the Welsh band Brigyn again on this blog with their song: Os na wnei di adael nawr. My reasoning behind this is: music is an amazing tool for learning languages. Listen to the Julie Fowlis song and you instantly want to (if you don’t know already) discover what it means. Also, you’re much more likely to remember the lyrics from songs than a boring list of verbs or key phrases. That’s why so many people have decided to combine language learning with music.

Enjoy.



No comments: